Thursday, May 28, 2015

MABAMBA SWAMP - An ecotourism site in Uganda




When you arrive at Mabamba swamp you are greeted with a large sign that says it is Ramsar site number 1638. That should say a lot about the place. It being a Ramsar site means that it is a wetland of international importance.  Mabamba Swamp is an ecotourism site not far off from Kampala city. It is famous for its 200+ species of birds including the rare Shoebill stork. The 30km drive to the site after turning off the Entebbe-Kampala highway is admittedly not very exciting.  Nor is the area around the booking office. Not until you are powering through the water channels on a bird watching trip do you begin to appreciate the place for what it has to offer. The trip is an adventure in itself as you go from one channel to another in a dugout canoe searching for some rare bird species.
I was intrigued at the many bird sightings in the short time I was there, birds that I had never seen before. I saw a couple of purple herons and plenty of Squacco herons which were hard to photograph as they took to the sky as soon as you got near them. I was amazed at the size of the Spur Winged Goose as it took to the sky whenever we approached it. Our very knowledgeable guide said it was a rare sighting.  That is another thing you will appreciate about the guides. Their experience of the birdlife is vast. Our guide told me that he had been guiding for about 10 years. Other birds I saw included the long tailed Comorant, African Jacana and the Malachite and Pied Kingfisher. Many of these birds can be photographed at close range so I did not need to use my telephoto lens which when attached to the camera is quite heavy.
A day trip safari to Mabamba swamp is well worth the time. Uganda with its many attractions  is well known for hosting a large number of bird species and I was not left in doubt of this after visiting Mabamba swamp.

No comments: