Thursday, June 21, 2007

Seychelles,A thousand Miles from the African coast


1000 (1200 to be exact)miles from the African coast is the group of islands called the Seychelles. The people there speak French and Creole but also English.The main activity is tourism.Now if there was a place I knew I would go only in my dreams, that place was Seychelles. So imagine my surprise when there was an opening to go to Seychelles.Thats the advantage of being in the travel industry.You get opportunities to travel to places you never thought you would ever go to.I took the invite and once again, no regrets.
Although I went to Seychelles a few years back I do remember the flight from Nairobi to Mahe Island. It was on KQ Boeing 737. Took about four hours. What I really remember is the hot air that hit me as I came out of the plane. Instantly my nose went blocked! It was about 4 a.m so I twas not very awake. After clearing immigration we found ourselves at the first of about three different hotels we were to stay in.
Now the weather in Seychelles like Mombasa is funny. At least on the first morning I woke up to daylight in Seychelles. One moment it was very sunny, the next moment it was raining. Quickly we had breakfast on this first morning then we got on the bus to begin our tour which if i am not very wrong covered about twelve if not more hotels. Everything about the hotels in Seychelles is what you read about and see in travel magazines. I still remember the words I read from a brochure I got in the Seychelles. 'Nothing a man could ever build compares to Nature. The only thing we have added are details.'No truer words could have been said about the Seychelles.The very white sandy beaches, the water so clear and blue you can see the white sand below, the hospitality of the people and the hotels! Big luxury hotels with food and drink so much it never got finished. Throughout the tour we ate and drank like kings and queens. Every hotel we visited offered us a cocktail drink!There came a time we just didn't want to see food! We were always full. Also the good thing about Seychelles is that the population is not high so so don't get crowds at hotels or at the beaches.
And it is such a romantic place. The perfect place for a honeymoon. Reminds me of something else I read in a brochure I got from the Seychelles. 'My wife wanted Romance, I wanted Paradise And here we are.' Many people do actually go to wed in the Seychelles as I found out when I went there.
Aaaah! I have been trying to remember this particular hotel we stayed in. I remember walking out in the evening. The air was a bit warm but there was a gentle cool breeze blowing. Perfect it was just felt so perfect, the only thing lacking was someone to share the experience with, the moment. Even now my heart warms up to think of that place. Yes it was the Plantation club Hotel. Located on the main Island of Mahe,it has 200 large air conditioned rooms, scattered in the midst of 185 acres grounds.If only I could capture time and the exact moment in time that is one place I would like to capture and hold on to. I remember that first evening we were at the Plantation Club hotel. There was a cocktail before dinner. It was a Saturday if I remember correctly. That was the time they would introduce the newly weds. The couple would walk into the cocktail room with the bride still dressed in her gown. There was someone playing an entry song for them on a piano. Then they would be introduced as Mr and Mrs so and so. it was beautiful just very beautiful. It was out of this world!
The last night we spent at a hotel called the Berjaya Mahe beach Resort. We were lodged in the fourth floor I think. Just imagine going to sleep hearing the weaves breaking aganist the rocks below you for the hotel was built on the sea shore I should say. It was pleasant sleep for you were not sure if you were awake or dreaming.
However before long it was over. But it was one of my best experiences ever. A visit to the island a thousand miles from the coast.
Do I ever think about going back? You bet I do.
Kenya Airways does flights to Seychelles twice a week from Entebbe and Nairobi on Thursday and Sunday. For special packages please contact eqvoyage@yahoo.com

No comments: